A shining instance of how one track can launch a profession, Dutch producer Mau P hit the stratosphere in 2022 along with his “Medication From Amsterdam,” an omnipresent international membership hit since its August launch.
Based mostly on a easy conceptual premise — “Off my face, don’t know the place I’m/ ‘Trigger I bought my medicine from Amsterdam” — the horny tech-house heater helped cement the ubiquity of the style this 12 months, whereas additionally making the 26-year-old producer born Maurits Westveen a part of the worldwide dialog. It additionally garnered him each a flurry of bookings, together with congratulatory DMs from scene titans like David Guetta and Tiësto.
Out by way of Lee Foss’ Repopulate Mars label, the track hit No. 1 on the Beatport general chart shortly after its launch, presently has 5.6 million official on-demand U.S. streams in keeping with Luminate and is in its eleventh week on Hot Dance/Electronic Songs. It additionally gained extra momentum with a recently released edit from Dutch techno powerhouse Reinier Zonnefeld.
A producer since age 18, Westveen is gearing as much as launch his followup single in early 2023, and within the meantime will play a few of his first U.S. exhibits over the vacations, with not one however two New 12 months’s Eve units in Southern California (at Correct NYE in San Diego and Insomniac’s Countdown in San Bernardino), earlier than a spring run of U.S. membership exhibits — throughout which Mau P will certainly show how music is the best managed substance of all.
1. The place are you on the planet proper now, and what’s the setting like?
I’m in Amsterdam proper now, engaged on a number of new music. The climate actually sucks, however the vibes are nonetheless there.
2. What’s the first album or piece of music you obtain for your self, and what was the medium?
I feel it was both deadmau5‘s For Lack Of A Higher Identify or Stevie Wonder‘s Speaking E-book. Each albums had been CDs, and I will need to have been 13 or 14 years outdated. I used to be simply stepping into dance music, however on the similar time I used to be additionally tremendous within the music that my mother and father listened to.
3. What did your mother and father do for a residing if you had been a child, and what do or did they consider what you do for a residing now?
Each of my mother and father are musicians really. My dad was a saxophone participant — he contributed to a number of songs and performed with many alternative stay acts. Subsequent to that he was a conductor and afterward he primarily labored as an arranger. He met my mother on the conservatory the place he taught music, at the moment she really was certainly one of his college students! She’s a beautiful singer and has been in a number of totally different bands all through her profession.
Sadly, my dad handed away once I was 18, and he didn’t get to witness the issues that I’ve achieved, however I nonetheless make all of my music in his recording studio. My mother thinks my dad would’ve been actually proud. I do know that she is.
4. What’s the primary non-gear factor you obtain for your self if you began earning profits as an artist?
I consider I purchased a very costly backpack for once I would go on tour; I used to be satisfied that I’d make it as an artist and would want that bag. Humorous factor, final month I really bought a brand new backpack as a result of I wanted a brand new one, as this primary one began to collapse.
5. In the event you needed to suggest one album for somebody seeking to get into dance music, what would you give them?
Wow, that’s robust. Only one? Daft Punk‘s Homework, Calvin Harris’s 18 Months, Disclosure‘s Settle and the deadmau5 album I discussed earlier – the one which bought me began. Oh and Skrillex’s Scary Monsters and Good Sprites.
6. What’s the final track you listened to?
“SIZZLIN” by The Final Days Of Pompeii.
7. In the event you may return in time to any period of dance music historical past, to when would you go and why?
2000s trance period for certain. I’d do something to be in a crowd for a Tiësto set round that point.
8. “Medication From Amsterdam” has been such an enormous hit this 12 months. What was the primary second that you simply knew you had a monster track in your arms?
In all probability once I performed it for the primary time. I did a present at a membership in London, and the gang was actually cool, so I made a decision to strive it out. After I dropped it the entire place simply turned the wrong way up. After posting a video of that on my Instagram I began to get a number of messages about it, and from there on the rollercoaster simply by no means ended.
9. How has the track modified your life?
It opened up a number of doorways for me that I’ve been banging on for years. I’ve been making dance music since I used to be 18 — I’m 26 now — and I’ve all the time questioned how the large guys bought to the place they’re. I used to be like, “Why is it not me?” or “What am I doing incorrect?” I suppose it’s all about discovering your groove and your sound. I’m now 100% impressed and cozy within the music that I make and able to give the world much more. It’s additionally so cool to see the large DJs and the entire dance music neighborhood help me. I really feel like we’re all on a mission collectively to push the scene ahead, and I’m tremendous completely satisfied to be a part of that.
10. What would the youthful you consider what your life is like now?
He could be screaming and leaping round for certain.
11. What else do you like about Amsterdam, moreover having the ability to get medicine there?
I really like the individuals and naturally all of my buddies that stay within the metropolis. I really like the vitality and I particularly love the town at evening.
12. When it comes to managed substances, which one is your favourite?
Those from Amsterdam.
13. I do know fairly a couple of iconic DJs have hit you up seeking to collaborate. Who’s your dream collaboration?
I’d like to work with Skrillex. I’ve been following him for therefore, so lengthy, and making an attempt to get a glimpse of his manufacturing methods and the way in which he manipulates sounds. I’ve all the time felt like he’s been despatched from one other world to show us the way it’s actually achieved.
14. What’s one of the best half about being a vastly well-liked DJ? The worst?
The perfect half is the sensation that DJing offers me. The sensation once I’m the one constructing the temper in a room via music. You’re the one taking everybody on a journey, and each time it’s a brand new problem of the way you’re going to do this.
The worst half in all probability is having to regulate your dopamine. You get a lot consideration from individuals combined with adrenaline from really being on stage. I’m completely satisfied that my first actual hit track is occurring after doing exhibits for a few years. You actually must be mentally sturdy and steady for this.
15. How do you intend to observe up “Medication From Amsterdam”? Are you feeling any strain, provided that it’s such an enormous monitor?
Typically I positively really feel the strain, however I all the time come to the conclusion that the one method to transfer ahead is to get into the studio and have enjoyable. Cease pondering or worrying. Fiddle and make new tunes. The observe as much as “Medication From Amsterdam,” “Gimme That Bounce’” was made in the very same means. I wasn’t occupied with something. I wasn’t making an attempt to observe any guidelines. I used to be simply within the second creating one thing that I believed sounded actually cool. I’ve been taking part in it in my units for some time now and the response is insane, I can’t watch for it to be launched early subsequent 12 months.
16. Have you ever gotten an opportunity to play a lot within the U.S. but, and in that case, how do U.S. audiences evaluate to European audiences?
Probably not. Positively not with this new sound that I’m doing proper now, so I’ve but to search out out. I’m really going to play Correct in San Diego throughout NYE. In February I’ll be again for my North America Tour, I’m actually wanting ahead to that one. Yow will discover me in New York, Chicago, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Seattle and a number of different cities!
17. How do you unwind after a giant present?
You don’t. You retain on partying.
18. What’s one of the best enterprise resolution you’ve ever made?
Modified my identify to Mau P.
19. Who’s been your biggest mentor, and what’s one of the best recommendation they gave you?
My dad. He taught me every little thing that I learn about music till I used to be 18 years outdated. I don’t actually have any finest recommendation from him, however I made him a promise to sooner or later get a gold file plaque for certainly one of my songs in order that I can hold it subsequent to his.
20. One piece of recommendation you’d give to your youthful self?
Cease overthinking and simply do no matter you assume is cool.